WAITING PERIOD AND PARENTAL NOTIFICATION BEFORE TERMINATION OF MINOR’S PREGNANCY.
INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.
- Changes California Constitution to prohibit abortion for unemancipated minor until 48 hours after physician notifies minor's parent or legal guardian.
- Permits notification to certain adult relatives if doctor reports parent to law enforcement or Child Protective Services.
- Provides notification exceptions for medical emergency or parental waiver.
- Permits courts to waive notice based on clear and convincing evidence of minor's maturity or best interests.
- Mandates reporting requirements, including reports from physicians regarding abortions on minors.
- Authorizes damages against physicians for violation.
- Requires minor's consent to abortion, with exceptions.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Potential unknown net state costs of several million dollars annually for health and social services programs, court administration, and state health agency administration combined.