INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT AND STATUTE.
- Changes authority for establishing Assembly, Senate, and Board of Equalization district boundaries from elected representatives to 14 member commission.
- Requires government auditors to select 60 registered voters from applicant pool. Permits legislative leaders to reduce pool, then the auditors pick eight commission members by lottery, and those commissioners pick six additional members for 14 total.
- Requires commission of five Democrats, five Republicans and four of neither party. Commission shall hire lawyers and consultants as needed.
- For approval, district boundaries need votes from three Democratic commissioners, three Republican commissioners and three commissioners from neither party.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Potential increase in state redistricting costs once every ten years due to two entities performing redistricting. Any increase in costs probably would not be significant.