|Title and Summary||Analysis||Arguments and Rebuttals||Text of Proposed Law|
OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
Prepared by the Attorney General
Preschool Education. Tax on Incomes Over $400,000 for Individuals; $800,000 for Couples. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
• Establishes a right to voluntary preschool for all four-year old children.
• Funded by a 1.7% tax on individual incomes above $400,000; $800,000 for couples.
• Administered by the state Superintendent of Public Instruction and county school superintendents.
• Directs counties to prepare reports on curricula, outreach, facilities, childcare coordination,
budgeting, teacher recruitment and pay.
• Limits administrative expenses; requires program audits.
• Requires state Superintendent to develop a preschool teaching credential with financial aid
for credential students.
• Excludes revenue from appropriation limits, Proposition 98 calculations.
Summary of Legislative Analyst’s Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:• Increased state revenues of about $2.1 billion in 2007–08, growing annually with the economy
to around $2.6 billion in 2010–11, when the preschool program would be open to all 4-year olds in
• Revenues would be used solely for new state preschool program and would be spent to run
the program, pay for facilities, train teachers, and provide an operating reserve.
Back to the top